Monday, December 13

for the love of burke...


once again i found myself heading to the big city last week (with bangs to aid me) and once again i found myself lost. for the love of burke and his fabby chairs, i had no choice but to use my secondhand senses and deep breathing exercises to get back on route. after quite a few trips over bridges, in a large roundabout way i found myself where i wished to be with great relief.

i have only ever found one burke chair before, it was many, many moons ago, but all so clear like it were yesterday... how is it one can remember precisely the day and time one finds the most fabbiest of vintage finds and yet i cannot remember what i did yesterday or indeed need to be doing today or tomorrow. when i found the two burke chairs last week, they also came with a friend. i had not known about the friend until i turned up, but his little ugly duckling ways standing next to the two swans caught me unawares. my thrifty maternal instincts for all waifs and strays took a hold, especially when he swivelled so nicely upon introduction. i didn't stand a chance

back at the shed i unloaded my haul. i told myself this was madness, as i squeezed them into my studio and stared at their beauty, not knowing quite how i was going to disguise the fact i had bought yet more chairs into our nest. i decided to scatter them in different corners of the shed, thus giving the appearance they may have always been there, blending in amongst the other forsaken souls i have happened across in the past.

"ah ha" i exclaimed to myself, little olive (busy licking burke's legs) and used dog "a brilliantly brilliant plan if ever there was one!" i could tell they were most impressed with my cunning plan.

i also told them, i could not, would not, under any circumstances, never, ever touch the cushions until after Christmas, for my Mother Christmas duties were top priority over cushion slip covers, even i could see that. i noted both little olive and used dog were wearing smirks after i have finished my words.

after two hours i was twitching, after three i was rifling through my bark cloth stash and by the fourth hour, one burke chair was sporting a spiffy reversible jacket. i stood quietly back in amazement, for it fitted like a glove, a beautiful vintage bark cloth glove and i noted as i stood there, a small amount of glory shone around.


next day i told myself it would be madness (again) to leave the other chair without his little jacket, what if the good fortune sent by the handcrafted gods ran out, just thinking about it made me start to fret. if i did not get on with it hoppity quick then the gods may think i did not care for the 'fitting like a glove' gift they bestowed upon me and take it away! by the end of the day, two little 'gloves' were completed and shining away in the kitchen knook


alas, the ugly duckling awaits his transformation, the handcrafted gods have moved on to some other lucky crafting soul and i must await with patience for their return. whilst i am awaiting, i shall continue with my Mother Christmas duties and ponder what is best for the little ugly duckling so he too, may get his moment to shine...

she will be back tomorrow with something to share, something like she has never shared before ~ Tif

26 comments:

Rose said...

I too, have a weakness for chairs. There are FAR too many in my house. Fortunately, I cannot recall ever paying more than ten bucks for one, so I suppose it's all right.

Can't wait to see what you do with The Ugly Duckling.

Michelle said...

Dear Tif...
You have a way with words and foresaken chairs...
You have put a little smile upon my face...which is much needed...
Looking forward to more creative goodness as ever...
Regards my dear...Michelle...

Vickie said...

Miss Tif,

am thinking you may need to attend Burke Chairs Anonymous - you are a bit obsessive...but then again, that's what we love about you!!!

Vickie in "soggy" Seattle

Momichka said...

Tif, you are such a great writer - it was a great joy to read your post. Congrats on the new chairs and I can't wait to see what you have in store for the ugly duckling, too.
Best!!!

Marija

My Handmadehappiness said...

Hey Tif... :) It's funny I was half way through this post and thought to myself.... "I wonder if Tif will be crocheting a cover or up-cycling some vintage yumminess" I didn't have to wait or ask!! lovely post looking forward to tomorrows post :) nite x

Violette Crumble said...

And you can probably play it off as if those chairs have been there all along, and all you did was change the seat cushions! I love the one with the rose fabric by the way. That almost photo-realistic look is always a score.

Karen said...

fabulous chairs......father christmas will be delighted, as will his good lady. Maybe he will even sit on one after he has delivered numerous gifts to your place...

Mathilda said...

Your blog is so beautiful. I loved it! For about 3 hours I'm just reading and looking at the pictures. You sure is talented. Thank you for sharing this with us. I enjoy it :)

Jessie Fincham said...

Can't wait for tomorrow's installment! those chair covers are just lovely - or should I say peachy! :)p.s. I've just watched your video on the Etsy blog and I had to tell you how FANTASTIC I thought it was, great job!!

Meertje said...

I can´t read your words very well, but I love too look at your blog.
Miriam

C said...

The chairs are awesome!

Polly said...

Tif - I had no doubts that you would do some amazing with THE barkcloth however you have excelled yourself. These look amazing. I am off to calm down the other twin from THOSE curtains who is whining about why can't they have a lovely chair to sit in x

Little Blue Mouse said...

I just have to say that I love reading your posts; you have such a way with words.

Unknown said...

good, no great job! new to your fun and stylish blog. just what the doctor ordered mrs; and for that i thank you x

Carol said...

Fab finds, Tif, love their makeovers (wonderful bark cloth)and look forward to seeing ugly duckling become a swan.
Carol xx

Glenda said...

oh Tif...I must be the nosiest of all noses...because I keep checking back to see what your newsiest news is! I am excited to see and to my dismay I can tell that I lack patience. I keep telling myself I must relax and wait like everyone else! LOL :)

Vicki K. said...

Ha - I loved seeing your (pre-fringe) feature on The Storque! It was wonderful. I got so tickled to see Used Dog and Dear Little Olive (a la waggy tale) too!!

Cerejeira said...

Congrats Tif, what a surprise !
It was lovely seing this sweet storie alive.
http://cerejeirastudio.blogspot.com

Cerejeira said...

Ohh forgot to say it was so peachy beautiful ..hair, dress...life.

Karen M. Andersen said...

Tif, I love your sweet little story, and your chairs are so beautiful! Awesome job on the cushions, too...I would not be able to stop myself from making them either :)

Karen xx

We Blog Artists said...

I believe furntiure too should be treated with respect and a kind heart...as they take our daily abuse of being sat on etc...so we should...as do you...give them MUCH needed attention.
What a wonderful post...it has left me beaming...and in love with burke chairs!
HUGS and have a wonderful day with your fabulous finds...
CHAR.x

jasmin said...

LOVE IT! You are indeed a goddess yourself. I have been meaning to say hello to you for a while now Your Majesty of all things colourful and gorgeous to the eye. i love what you have done with your new thrones.
do come by for a cuppa if you want a little sunshine.
jasmin x

dottie angel said...

thank you my dearies for the burke loving! alas mr internet and i parted ways for a few days, do not think i was ignoring you and your lovely comments, no sirree!

kit and nancy. said...

just amazing x 38961847820. love those fabrics and just love your talents. you are so inspiring. ps. saw your nook in 'spaces' magazine and was utterly delighted. thank you for sharing all this beauty! xx

dottie angel said...

thank you kit and nancy!
i was pretty made up to be asked by Frankie and the mook they produced is fabby is it not!

~ s ~ said...

awwwe, this post made me lonely for my vintage stenciled hitch cock chairs...sigh. love the fabrics~ like always, you inspire me to pieces!
xo
M~